4 Steps to Take after You Get Injured at Work

Construction worker

After you get injured on the job in California, there are some steps that you must take to ensure that your injury gets covered by the employers’ compensation insurance and to navigate the deadlines for the claim. Here are 4 steps you must take after getting injured on the job. Failure to do so can result in denial of the claim.

1.    Report the Injury

After getting injured, you should report your injury to your employer right away. Your employer is then required to provide you with an Employee Claim Form or DWC-1 Form. You should not wait to notify your employer, it is preferable to report the injury within 30 days. However if you have waited longer than 30 days still report the injury to your employer as soon as possible.

A construction worker at work

2.    Seek Medical Care

After being notified of an injury your employer must provide medical treatment and should provide you with a doctor or facility you can go for initial treatment. The workers’ compensation insurer is required to pay up to $10,000.00 for medical care until the insurer either accepts or denies the claim up to a maximum of 90 days.

When you see a doctor for your work injury, you should inform the doctor that you got injured on the job. You should describe the accident that led to your injury and all the symptoms that you have been experiencing as a result of the work injury.

Your workers compensation doctor should provide you with a Work Status that you will give to your employer. This Work Status will give the employer any restrictions you may have. Your employer may provide modified work that accommodates these restrictions. If you refuse the offer of modified work you could jeopardize some rights you may have under Workers Compensation system.

Hire a Worker Compensation Lawyer to Help with Your Claim

You are not required to get an attorney to help you with your case and you do not need to have an attorney to pursue your claim for Workers’ Compensation. However, if you would like help with your case. The Law Office of Harley Merritt is there to help. We’ve been serving injured workers in Butte, Tehama, Glenn, Colusa, Plumas, Shasta, and Lassen, Yuba, and Sutter counties for the past 25 years. You can get in touch with us for a free consultation.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.